OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
FOX Sports, the industry leader in live events, is the umbrella entity representing Fox Corporation’s wide array of multi-platform US-based sports assets. Built with brands capable of reaching more than 100 million viewers in a single weekend, FOX Sports includes the sports television arm of the FOX Network; FS1, FS2, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Deportes, as well as a joint-venture business in the Big Ten Network and digital properties including http://FOXSports.com and the FOX Sports App. FOX Sports has delivered the most watched television program, NFL’s America’s Game of the Week on FOX, for fourteen consecutive years.
The Big Ten Network is seeking a Technical Director to join their team in Chicago, IL. The Technical Director will primarily be responsible for setting up and operating a production switcher (either locally in MICR control room or on-site in a remote production truck) to switch the video portion for broadcasts of live sporting events and related programming in conjunction with the director, producer, engineering staff, and control room/production truck crew. Additional duties include preparing and organizing switcher animation files, ensuring equipment is functioning properly, and working with the Crewing Dept to help train freelance Technical Directors. The Technical Director is expected to Technical Direct the network’s highest-profile broadcasts, including some travel to work on-site as determined by Coordinating Producers. Additionally, the Technical Director may be allowed to direct a select number of broadcasts as assigned by the Coordinating Producers.
This is a Union IATSE role and must adhere to the minimum conditions described in the bargaining agreement by and between the Big Ten Network and IATSE (Local #762).
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set up and operate a production switcher (either locally in MICR control room or on-site in a remote production truck) to switch the video portion for broadcasts of live sporting events and related programming in conjunction with the director, producer, engineering staff, and control room/production truck crew
- Permitted to Direct and/or Produce broadcasts of live sporting events as assigned by Coordinating Producers, not to exceed 30 days per year and must be in accordance with agreed-upon conditions
- Expected to Technical Direct network’s highest-profile broadcasts as determined by Coordinating Producers, including being available to travel to remote events to TD on-site when necessary
- Ensure production switchers, routers, monitor walls, and video signals are functioning properly by working closely with the engineering department and camera/video operators
- Prepare and organize switcher animation files and Cueman files for both MICR control room switchers and remote production truck switchers, in cooperation with production assistants and graphics design department
- Schedule, train, and recommend freelance technical directors (including B1G Network Operations Workshop training program) for MICR control room productions with assistance from crewing department
- Use knowledge of technical directing and production switches to assist studio automation control room operators with building switcher effects
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 5+ years of experience as a Technical Director for national/regional broadcasts of live sporting events
- Specialized knowledge of production equipment and software including Grass Valley K-Frame switcher, Grass Valley K2 Server, EVS Spot box and Lance Controller, Evertz Router and Monitor Wall System, Adobe Premiere Pro and Media Encoder, Microsoft Word & Excel
- General knowledge of production equipment including Grass Valley or similar triax and fiber broadcast cameras, Evertz Dreamcatcher Replay, VizRT Graphics System, FoxBox score software, Ross Overdrive automation system, computer networking
- General understanding of multiple sports and college teams
- Ability to clearly give quick and decisive direction and judgment in a high-pressure, live television production environment
- Good written and oral communication
- Exceptional organization skills
NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT A DEALBREAKER
- High school diploma or equivalency, Bachelor’s degree preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
At FOX, we foster a culture and environment where everyone feels welcome and can thrive. We are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including attracting, retaining, and promoting diverse talent across our company. We live in a diverse world, with different ideas and different perspectives that come together to spark new ideas and make great things happen. That means reflecting the diversity of the world around us is critical to our company’s success. We ensure that our viewers, communities and employees feel heard, represented, and celebrated both on screen and off.
Click here to learn more about the diverse communities of people behind our brands.
View more detail about FOX Benefits.