OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
FOX Sports is the umbrella entity representing FOX Corporation’s wide array of multi-platform US-based sports assets. Built with brands capable of reaching more than 100 million viewers in a single weekend, the business has ownership and interests in linear television networks, digital and mobile programming, broadband platforms, multiple web sites, joint-venture businesses and several licensing relationships. FOX Sports includes the sports television arm of the FOX Network; FS1, FS2, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Deportes. FOX Sports’ digital properties include FOXSports.com and the FOX Sports App, which provides live streaming video of FOX Sports content, instant scores, stats and alerts to iOS and Android devices. Additionally, FOX Sports and social broadcasting platform, Caffeine jointly own Caffeine Studios which creates exclusive eSports, sports and live entertainment content. Also included in FOX Sports’ portfolio are FOX’s interests in joint-venture business Big Ten Network as well as a licensing agreement that established the FOX Sports Radio Network.
The Big Ten Network is looking for a MICR (Multi-Camera Insert Control Room) Director to join our team in Chicago, IL. This position reporting to the Vice President of Remote Events will direct productions originating from our MICR studios. Responsibilities include overall direction of camera crew, TD, graphics, videotape, video, audio and show engineers. The Director will command the overall pace and packaging of sports shows originating from the MICR studios as well as, on occasion, remote productions. Communication with the producer, operations manager, tech manager and arena personnel prior to game day is required. This position will ensure that the production crews stay on schedule and on task. Knowledge of all Big Ten sports are imperative.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
Game Broadcast Planning
- Work with Producer, Operations Manager, Tech Manager, and Coordinating Producer leading up to game to help manage the technical and operational aspects of each show
- Perform site surveys at venues to map out camera placement, cable runs, talent location, etc.
- Create camera sheets for game operators and other production staff with headshots, numbers, and coach information so operators can quickly identify people in-game
- Communicate with Producer, CP, and Remote Operations to layout realistic production schedule for each broadcast
- Communicate with operation and tech managers to outline expectations for each broadcast
- Download necessary information for tech books for each show
- Stay current in the industry.
- Watch other sports broadcasts & read news (websites, social media, etc) to stay current on happenings in the Big Ten Conference and beyond
Work with MICR Production Crew on LIVE broadcasts
- Provide comprehensive guidance, direction & cues for MICR crew on every show
- Collaborate with graphics department, AP, VIZ operator to create graphic elements for each game
- Keep MICR crew on schedule for each production
- Help troubleshoot any technical issues and find solutions as they arise
- Communicate with A1 regarding all audio elements required for each game (music, interviews, locker room access, etc)
Work with Engineering & Remote Operations Departments
- Work with the Director of Engineering, Assistant Chief Engineer, and Senior Remote Engineer as they are responsible for the maintenance of all MICR equipment and let them know about issues as they occur and help with scheduling should maintenance be required
- Coordinate with remote operations department to create broadcast plans and camera locations at Big Ten venues for various sports
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 3+ years of sports directing experience
- Passion for sports
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, with strong knowledge for sports and/or media industry
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a focus on being able to deliver clear and concise direction
- Leadership experience and ability to work with different personalities
- Great organizational skills due to the number of productions & layout of show formats
- Excellent knowledge of the Big Ten Conference and each of the sports covered
- Creative and able to think outside the box. Broadcasts should not be “cookie-cutter”
- Good intuition to make crucial judgment calls
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated and able to have conversations with multiple levels of personnel
- Must be computer literate in MS Word & MS Excel
NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT A DEALBREAKER
- Bachelor's degree in communications, broadcast, or a related field
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
At FOX, we foster a culture and environment where everyone feels welcome and can thrive. We are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including attracting, retaining, and promoting diverse talent across our company. We live in a diverse world, with different ideas and different perspectives that come together to spark new ideas and make great things happen. That means reflecting the diversity of the world around us is critical to our company’s success. We ensure that our viewers, communities and employees feel heard, represented, and celebrated both on screen and off.
Click here to learn more about the diverse communities of people behind our brands.
View more detail about FOX Benefits.