OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Fox TV Stations
Fox Television Stations is one of the nation’s largest owned-and-operated network broadcast groups, comprising 29 stations in 18 markets and covering over 37% of U.S. television homes. This includes seven duopolies in the top 10 markets: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, Washington, D.C. and Houston; as well as duopolies in Minneapolis, Phoenix, Orlando and Seattle.
The assignment desk is the HEART of the newsroom. The ideal assignment editor candidate is passionate about both breaking news and enterprise story generation. We’re looking for someone with strong news judgment who will be an integral voice on our editorial team. Assignment editors must gather story information from various news sources and determine the newsworthiness. Decide what stories to cover and assign/dispatch crews by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist field crews in story development/completion; this includes, but is not limited to, providing directions to a location, providing contact information for a story, providing background information on a story, making preliminary calls to set-up a story.
- Listen to scanners and respond as required.
- Work independently to research story information. This can include but is not limited to, social media, web site searches, calling sources, FOX35 archives.
- Organize and manage news crews.
- Assign and dispatch crews for news vehicles including ENG/SNG vehicles.
- Assign live gear technology to crews as needed
- Communicate story developments to producers, field crews, web team, and managers.
- Call and arrange live shots and feeds with other FOX affiliates. Ensure continuity in coverage.
- Coordinate coverage of special events.
- Write, edit and post stories on the station’s website and social media platforms; on-air, on-line, in-mobile and social.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with sources. This includes, but is not limited to Public Information Officers, corporate spokespersons, public relations personnel, viewers, and members of the public.
- Create and maintain story files. Files should include contact information, background information, newspaper articles, official reports, phone numbers, and addresses.
- Professionally, respectfully and courteously answer incoming calls as quickly as possible. Must be able to communicate intelligibly, via telephone and e-mail, to news crews and callers. Respond to viewer questions and concerns.
- Responsible for daily sorting and distribution of incoming department e-mail and voicemail. Distribute information to the appropriate recipient.
- Stay informed on current events, journalistic practices and changing industry trends.
- Write coverage plans. Effectively communicate between shifts by writing detailed notes. Must be able to regularly and proficiently operate a personal computer, using a keyboard, and news related systems.
- Attend and participate in department editorial meetings. Provide suggestions for stories and participate in post-production critiques.
- Adhere to all professional broadcast journalism standards in regard to legal and ethical issues
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reliable, punctual, flexible
- Work varied hours, holidays, weekends and during severe weather situations as needed and/or scheduled.
JOB RELATED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Positive Attitude
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Commitment to Excellence
- Take Initiative
- Experience in News Television Station
- Excellent Communication Skills
Regularly stand; walk, sit, reach with hands and arms; and; talk or hear. Occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
REQUIREMENT: A minimum of 3 years television news assignment desk experience. College or technical degree in in an applicable discipline such as broadcast journalism or communications. Thorough working knowledge of newsroom computers, the Internet and computer-assisted reporting. Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills. Detail oriented.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
At FOX, we foster a culture and environment where everyone feels welcome and can thrive. We are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including attracting, retaining, and promoting diverse talent across our company. We live in a diverse world, with different ideas and different perspectives that come together to spark new ideas and make great things happen. That means reflecting the diversity of the world around us is critical to our company’s success. We ensure that our viewers, communities and employees feel heard, represented, and celebrated both on screen and off.
Click here to learn more about the diverse communities of people behind our brands.
View more detail about FOX Benefits.